Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Matt Pacini's Movie

  1. #1
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    Have you seen this movie this dude has made, Alexeter? Lost Tribes
    You likely have some good advice for him.
    You should have a review, here so we can learn how to make a movie on super8.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41622

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't seen the movie. If Matt wants to send me a complimentary copy, I would gladly review it on this forum.

    I don't think the photos Matt selected for his eBay auction paint the film as a Super-8 film. The picture of the two girls kissing doesn't work at all. The girl on the right is tight lipped and obviously doesn't like what she is doing, yet the picture is designed to work on a prurient interest level, and it's not even shot on Super-8!

    I hope the tight-lipped girl approves of being portrayed in this matter, on the internet (it sure doesn't look like it from the photo). If the girl does not approve of the photo being put on the internet, perhaps the pack of disapproving women currently following Arnold Schwartzenegger around will surely have a new target once the California election is over.

    The bigger problem with the pictures Matt is currently using on his eBay ad is they completely lack the use of mis-en-scene. I have no idea what the pictures relate to, as the pictures are of actors that have no relationship to their surrounding setting, an absolute must for 99.33% of all feature films.

    The eBay sale comes off as a film huckster selling to someone who doesn't know any better, rather than a Super-8 filmmaker sharing their Super-8 Filmmaking ideas.

    If only Matt could see this post....

    Matt, if you are out there, how about scanning actual frames from your actual Super-8 movie?
    If you use a 300 DPI video printer and take images from the actual movie, then scan them into photoshop and make new images to accompany the sale of the movie, I'm sure the images will look fine.

    Many of the scans on my Super-8mm.net website (except for the "Alex Speaks out" page and the "Polaroid" page) were taken from video images of my super-8 films that were then made into 4 by 6 inch prints, which were then scanned for use on my website!

    The music video photos are 5 or 6 video generations removed from the original super-8, and a couple of those generations were VHS! The film to video transfer was done on a telecine chain (I wasn't involved in the transfer) that had a completely misadjusted tube camera, and the frames on my Super-8 forum still look fine! More importantly, they look like they came from the music video.

    Perhaps if Matt hadn't been more interested in getting me banned from Brantley's forum a couple of years ago then realizing I love to share my experiences in exchange for what others have learned, he would have learned the proper way to transfer his super-8 frames onto the internet, and he'd be well ahead of where he is now with the eBay sale of VHS copies of his Super-8 film.

  3. #3
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    Thank You! You really hit the nail on the head with those photos. They're all blurry and **** and it looks like he shot the movie with a vhs camcorder and then took pictures of it off his television set! There's no context there. There's just some skull or something and a sheet around some woman. I just found this movie the other day and I wondered what the **** is this **** ? Some kind of schlockmeister? And then I remembered this forum!

    That kiss is pathetic. Schwarzenegger's opponents [img]biggrin.gif[/img] hilarious!

    If he doesn't send you a copy for a review I think I will. Only I don't want to spend the money on it.
    [img]frown.gif[/img]

    But I think that as an educational tool, this attempted feature, if it is dissected and reviewed by you on this forum would provide a lot of value for everyone. Not only for me and others, but Matt as well! A good critique with some constructive criticism is always a good thing!

  4. #4
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    Probably he'll get some more sales so people can see the film you're reviewing!

    He should send you a copy! [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Neither of you morons have seen my movie, and yet you go on to state all sorts of details you know nothing about?

    Alex, why would I give you a free copy, when you've already ripped me off on my ebay deal?
    And why would I want you to review my film, when you don't know anything other than what you've read in magazine articles, and like maybe 6 people ever look at this website?

    You're saying the film wasn't shot on Super 8?
    How in the world would you know this?
    The entire film was shot in Super 8, as you know. I have no idea why you're saying this, other than you're a compulsive lier.

    The girls not only are not "tight lipped" but they enjoyed doing this scene very much, thank you, and obviously, I got release forms, so there are no issues about them not wanting the pictures shown. They did the freakin' movie, why would you think they would want the images to be a secret?
    You make no sense at all.

    And what's all this craap about context?
    Have you ever heard of a close-up?
    The whole point is to isolate someone from the environment, and you're looking at one frame from a scene, and you're acting like you've seen the entire sequence.
    Total idiot, Alex.

    You need to ACTUALLY MAKE A FILM, Alex.
    Maybe you would learn this stuff.
    This is filmmaking 101.
    "I have no idea what they relate to" is a stupid thing to say.
    Of course you don't. Do i have to post the whole script into my ebay ad?
    Maybe I should put every frame from the whole film on there, eh?

    And why would I scan something at 300dpi, that is going to be used at 72dpi anyway?
    This is idiotic.
    The film was telecine'd onto Digital Betacam.
    Good enough for you, Alex?
    Do you even know what that means?
    The problem with those images, is that I shot them on Ektachrome, which you have told many people looks terrific, and as I have always said, it looks like rubbish, and I've used these very images as proof when people have argued with me about it (some of them having heard your advice to shoot on Ektachrome)
    I should have shot the entire movie on Kodachrome.
    The Kodachrome footage looks great.
    Unfortunately, I listened to idiots like you, who have no idea what they're talking about, when I set out to make Lost Tribes, and used Ektachrome for most of my interiors.

    And as far as "sharing your experience", I have never heard of anything you have ever shot, IF you have even shot a film in your life.
    Through all your "advice" I've ever seen, mysteriously absent, are any mentions of any film titles that you have worked on, if indeed you have ever done anything.

    I suspect you're just one of the many typical posers, who "any day now" is going to shoot their masterpiece, but in the meantime, you're going to continue posing as someone who knows what they're talking about, which you don't, obviously.

    You certainly have not shot a feature film, so the idea of you giving me advice is laughable.

    Matt Pacini

  6. #6
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    "Unfortunately, I listened to idiots like you, who have no idea what they're talking about, when I set out to make Lost Tribes, and used Ektachrome for most of my interiors."

    Matt Pacini

    ________________________________

    You put together people, spent your own money, wrote a script, put in all the time it takes to get a shoot for "most of my interiors" on even a tiny "feature film", and ...

    [img]eek.gif[/img]

    didn't before hand think single [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] that maybe, just maybe, you should buy, shoot, develop and telecine a single cartridge of the film stock you were using so that you knew what it looked like?

    Instead you say you relied on somebody else's well meaning advice? If Alex even advised you to do that (maybe you can prove it, I'm sure it was a misunderstanding), it doesn't matter. You listened to advice on a webboard, and didn't just think: "hmmm, sounded like a good idea to try out a little test to see if it's right for me", you commited your attempt at a feature film on it!

    If the rest of your movie is based on reasoning of this calibre, you must be the Ed Wood of Super 8.

    Mr. Alex, you MUST review this movie. There is a lot to be gained from an award winning filmmaker like you commenting on something like this.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First off, Matt wasn't very clear in his point about me giving him advice on the making of his movie.

    MATT made his movie WELL BEFORRE he ever surfaced on
    Hostboard, so I never gave him any advice about what filmstocks to use.

    The new Ektachrome 125 is SUPERIOR to the previous Ektachrome 160. Does that mean it's acceptable for a super-8 feature, probably, but I have used the E-125 primarily for time-exposure, so I can't say for sure.

    Matt, my comments were only directed towards YOUR PHOTO SHOOT THAT APPEARS ON YOUR EBAY AD, I have not commented about your movie at all because I haven not viewed it.

  8. #8
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    You must be right, Alex. I just checked the ebay link and it says "copyright 2001"! So this movie was made a few years ago.

    So Matt Pacini lied by pointing a finger at you.

    It's a shame nobody bought a copy of the film.

    If he had somebody like you reviewing the film, giving some good pointers, very likely it would generate more interest in it as a learning experience for super 8 film-makers and give him some more sales! I think it's a no lose situation for him to get you a copy.

  9. #9
    blue demon
    Guest blue demon's Avatar

    Post

    Let me revise that:

    Matt Pacini lied by pointing a blurry finger at you.

    Just like the stills from his feature. Blurry.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Reality Check:
    You must be right, Alex. I just checked the ebay link and it says "copyright 2001"! So this movie was made a few years ago.

    So Matt Pacini lied by pointing a finger at you.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Not at all. Matt said that he shot on Ektachrome, which is something that Alex has advised many others to shoot, as well. Ektachrome suks, as anyone that knows anything about super 8 production would know. That's why Alex doesn't.

    Originally posted by Reality Check:

    If he had somebody like you reviewing the film, giving some good pointers
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Matt's movie has lots of problems, to be sure. In fact, if you REALLY want to know what all is wrong with the movie, ask Matt, himself. He's pretty disgusted with the whole thing, at this point, having made every mistake there is to make and he knows it better than anyone. Alex hasn't made any of the same mistakes as Matt because Alex, well... one has to actually MAKE movies to deal with the type of problems Matt has, right Alex? Oh, sorry. I guess you wouldn't know.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •